TRAILS Competition FAQs
What is the judging criteria?
Round 1 (5 Points of Health Care Perspective)
- Section 1 – General Impact on the Triple Aim
- Seeks to positively impact at least one component of the Triple Aim (improvements in population health, experience of care & per capita cost), without negatively impacting the other components.
- Section 2 – Specific Impact on the Health Care System
- Improves patient and family engagement with providers, payers and/or other stakeholders
- Improves operational efficiency for providers, payers and/or other stakeholders
- Easily integrates into the current health care system
- Makes it easier to provide more inclusive and equitable care
- Section 3 – Specific Impact on Patient Experience of Care
- Improves day to day life for people and/or their families
- Inclusive and equitable to diverse communities and identities
- Reduces disparities across race, gender, socioeconomic status, etc.
- Increases and improves individualized and culturally competent care from providers to patients and families
Round 2 (Business Case)
- Section 1 – Business Viability
- Product is financially sustainable
- Product is scalable
- Product has proof of efficacy
- Product has a competitive advantage
- Product solution equitably delivers value in a real world setting to all types of patients
What are the terms & conditions?
- Startup and product must be eligible to participate.
- Startup and product must not have previously won the TRAILS Competition.
- Applications will not be accepted after the deadlines posted.
- All finalists must be present for virtual live pitch event in late January/early February. No travel will be necessary.
- Top 5 Finalists will be notified of selection and must confirm their participation in the live event.
- The grand prize winning team will be announced at the end of the finale pitch event.
- The winning team will participate in a series of informational interviews and workshops with MultiCare Behavioral Health Network and Providence Digital Innovation Group. Specific details of the meetings will be defined based upon the grand prize team’s needs. Interviews and workshops will assist the startup in refining the business case for their solution and may include meetings with clinical providers, hospital administration, investors, and other subject matter experts within these health systems.
- Winning team will participate in promotional activities regarding the TRAILS Competition.
What is the prize?
Each of the top 5 finalist teams will participate in a Tour of the 5 Points of Health Care, meeting with expert representatives from the following perspective: Payor, Provider, Patient, Policymaker and Purchaser. The teams will have the opportunity to use these informational and educational sessions to gain valuable feedback on their solutions and refine their value proposition ahead of the pitch event.
A grand prize winner will be selected from the Top 5 Finalists and will engage in a series of informational interviews and workshops with key contacts in the MultiCare Behavioral Health Network and Providence Digital Innovation Group. Specific details of the meetings will be defined based upon the grand prize team’s needs. Interviews and workshops will assist the startup to refine the business case for their solution and may include meetings with clinical providers, hospital administration, investors, and other subject matter experts within these health systems.
What do the terms “behavioral health” and “mental health” mean?
Behavioral health can be defined as the promotion of mental health, resilience and well-being.
Mental health, which is one area of behavioral health, can include a variety of factors, such as biology, psychological state, and habits. The World Health Organization (WHO) defines mental health as “a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.”
What types of companies can apply?
Any investable company or organization with at least a minimum viable product and/or a prototype in its development.
What about confidentiality?
Products and startups may be used in materials promoting the Cambia Grove TRAILS Competition. Finalists will pitch virtually in front of a live panel of judges online.
When will the Tour of the 5 Points of Health Care and the grand prize take place?
The Tour of the 5 Points of Health Care will take place December 2021- January 2022. Upon conclusion of the Tour of the 5 Points, the Top5 teams will participate in a virtual pitch event. The grand prize winner will work with MultiCare and Providence to define an optimized schedule of meetings and workshops in February 2022. The full scope of meetings will be tailored to the needs of the winning startup.
What will happen after the grand prize period is complete?
Cambia Grove will ask you to participate in an informational interview and write a blog about your experience that will be externally facing and potentially used for future TRAILS Competition promotion.
What about my intellectual property?
There is no exchange of IP to participate in this competition.
What about equity?
No equity will be taken in exchange for prize money.
Can my startup submit more than one product?
Can I apply if I’ve received funding already?