Cambia Grove Innovator Fellowship
Applications are open for the 2020 Cambia Grove Innovator Fellowship!
About the Innovator Fellowship Program
Cambia Grove has convened partners from around the country to support the 2020 Innovator Fellowship Program. This year, Fellows will work with national health care leaders to:
- Address new federal rules to use HL7 FHIR standards across health care organizations
- Create national frameworks for health systems across the country to make it easier to implement FHIR
- Adopt new business models that include third party apps and a patient-centered approach to data sharing and communication
Individuals taking part in this fellowship will be well positioned to be leaders in digital health care transformation for years to come.
This Advancing FHIR to Ignite Innovation panel discussion with key stakeholders was an introduction to the importance of training individuals in FHIR data standards and will provide context for the Cambia Grove Innovator Fellowship. Watch the event video here.
- Application Period: May 11 - 31
- Fellows Announced: June 23
- Fellowship Program: July – October
- Kickoff meeting via teleconference on July 9th
- HL7 FHIR Fundamentals Online Training: July 16 – August 13
- Connect with assigned mentor
- Create project plan with other fellows for the frameworks
- Mentors and Mentees connect for job shadowing and informational interviews regarding FHIR training and creating the frameworks
- October TBD: Present the frameworks
- Cambia Grove will pay for the cost of the HL7 FHIR Fundamentals Online Training program for up to 10 fellows.
- Cambia Grove will facilitate introductions to mentors and health system leaders across the country.
- Cambia Grove will provide each fellow a $3,000 stipend for their development of the national frameworks.
- Fellows will be responsible for their own travel and equipment costs (if needed).
- Fellows will be required to participate in all events and meetings as well as the 4-week online training. Fellows should anticipate spending 10 hours per week during the duration of the program.
- Fellow applicant criteria: Developers having experience with coding using Java, NODE, DotNet, Scala, Clojure. Experience working in health care preferred.
Example of the Work to Build a Framework
- The framework will allow a consumer (patient/member) to provide specific consent to a HIPAA covered entity (i.e. a Health Plan) to share their data with a third party (i.e. App, Family member, Care Giver, Provider, Health Plan, etc.)
- The framework should support consents with appropriate granularity for the Health Plan domain so that the data sharing is subject to filtering/conditions based on:
- Consumer’s confidential communication restrictions
- State and local agencies’ sensitive diagnostic and procedure codes requirements
- Type of data (i.e. type of claims, type of clinical data, etc)
- Type of third party or specific third parties
Partners will be organizations working with health care data with subject matter expertise in FHIR. Those subject matter experts will spend time mentoring them virtually. The fellows will work with the partner organization stakeholders to identify requirements and recommendations for the national frameworks.
- Mentor fellows who are being trained on FHIR standards
- Provide input on national frameworks (using FHIR)
- Facilitate introductions for informational interviews about the use of FHIR and new rule compliance to build out frameworks
Background: After extensive feedback from the health care innovation community, Cambia Grove took on data as the first topic for our Solutions Lab. This Solutions Lab systematically breaks down barriers to innovation by convening stakeholders around high-priority health care topics, identifying specific challenges within those topics and then catalyze solutions that support system-wide transformation.